Monday, October 6, 2014

Alander Mountain

While camping this past weekend I was able to climb Alander Mountain in the Southwestern corner of Massachuesetts.  Using the Alander Mtn. Trail, the weather was less then cooperative for this short 3.5 mile hike to the summit from the Mount Washington State Forest headquarters.  It was raining quite heavily as I made my way over slick rock covered trail.  When I came to the cabin near the summit I was able to take a short break from the rain inside.  After a quick break in the empty cabin, I made my way to the summit.  I took a few pictures at the firetower footings but the wind, rain and fog made for a poor view.


The wind must have been gusting around 50 mph on top.  I didn't stay long and made my way back to my campsite.  It was a wet camping trip but I am glad I was able to get to the summit.  I look forward to exploring more of this area as it is quite beautiful.