Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Gossamer Gear Mariposa - A year in review

Let me start out by saying that I love this backpack!  When I made the switch from a traditional internal frame backpack to the GG Mariposa I was unsure what to expect.  Would it be uncomfortable?  Would it shift around or ride funny?  It has done none of those things.  It rides like a dream, holds everything that I have stuffed into it and is very comfortable.  I have used it both loaded to its 70 liter capacity and with a small amount of gear as well.

This version of the Mariposa is made with 140 denier Dyneema Gridstop fabric.  This is a tough fabric that has performed great with all the miles I have put it through.  It does a pretty good job of keeping water out, though I still use a trash compacter bag as a liner.  The suspension on the Mariposa is similar to most any backpack, consisting of shoulder straps, a hip belt, load lifters and a sternum strap.  The unique part is the light weight aluminum stay that provides the support for the pack.  The Mariposa also comes with a removable sit pad that fits into the pack and rests against your back.  It provides some support as well and may be all that is needed for ultra lightweight loads.  All of these components lead to a comfortable fit and feel that makes the miles go by.

I like the configuration of pockets on the Mariposa has as well.  It has a total of 7 pockets.  On the left of the main compartment is a long pocket that could hold a tent or other sizable gear.  I usually keep my hammock tarp and ridgeline in this pocket so it is easy to get to and set up.  On the right side are two pockets.  The top one is a good size for a cook kit, which is how I use it most of the time.  The bottom pocket works great for my water bottles.  Lately, I am using the 1 liter size Smartwater, but I have used Gatorade bottles as well.  The elastic band at the top accommodates all of these with ease.  I also like the position of this pocket as I can reach back and grab a bottle and put it back without having to take the pack off.  On the back of the pack is a large mesh stretch pocket that impresses me with how much I can stuff into it.  Everything from my fleece jacket, water filter, ground sheet, tent stakes, fuel bottles, you name it, it seems bottomless! On the hip belt are two pockets, one on each side, they hold small items, such as snacks, camera, etc.  On the top of the pack is a zippered pocket.  This is a nice spot for maps, headlamp, anything that you want to stay dry but need easy access to.



The main compartment is quite large as this is a 70L pack.  There are times it is difficult to see into the bottom because the top flips down into the way.  This can get a little annoying, but it can be rolled back out of the way if you are going in and out of the pack.

It was an easy transition for me to go from a traditional internal frame pack to the GG Mariposa.  I recommend anyone looking for a new pack to check out GossamerGear.  The Mariposa was just updated (summer 2014) and the new changes look exciting. 

Disclaimer: Andy Fenn purchased the Gossamer Gear Mariposa with his own money.