Monday, March 23, 2015

Easy Backpacking meal

I always enjoy tweaking my backpacking stuff.  Whether it is gear, technique, or food I find it fun to play around with how I do something.  This weekend I tried a new meal for the trail.  I know that using Knorr sides is not new, and I have tried one before, but never really took to carrying it with me on trips.  But as I was shopping the other day for an upcoming camping trip with the Boy Scouts I passed them in the store and thought I might give it another try.  I also knew I needed to add something more to it, so I picked up a can of chicken.  My plan was to make a one pot meal that tasted good, had a good amount of calories, and would not be a pain to cook.



I bought the Knorr Creamy Chicken flavor Rice and Pasta Blend and Great Value Chunk Chicken breast at the local Walmart.  I wanted to try this at home just in case it didn’t work out so I set up my camp stove, for this time I used a Primus backpacking stove and my GSI soloist cookset.  The recipe calls for 2 cups water and optional 1Tbsp. butter.  Bring contents to a boil and then simmer for 7 min.  I drained and added the chicken when it started simmering.  After about 5 min. I turned off the stove and let the contents simmer for another 3-4 min. covered. 

It made a good amount, about 4 cups worth and depending how hungry you are may be enough for 2 people.  The rice and pasta had cooked well and had thickened up nicely, it was not soupy at all.


Now it was time for the taste test.  

It was very good.  I liked the flavor of the sauce.  The rice and pasta were cooked through and had a good texture.  The chicken was hot and tender.  It was a good meal.  I enjoyed it for lunch as did my son, who helped in the taste testing.  We both agree that it would be a nice meal on the trail.  Calories for the entire package, which had 2.5 servings is 600 and with the 12.5oz can of chicken adds 270 calories for a total of 870 calories.  Cost for the meal was about $3.  The only down side I can see is you have to wash your pot.  I’ll have to work on cooking this in a freezer bag for a wash free meal.

I plan to use this meal on my next overnight trip, it is cheap and easy and tastes good.

No comments: