Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A look back at 2014

Looking back through all my pictures from the hikes of 2014 I feel pretty good about all the places I hiked.  I enjoyed all of them and some I will be returning to again and again.  2014 was a good year for me hiking and I hope to continue and even expand my trips in 2015.  Here is a look back at some of the moments I had on the trail.

Winter

View from Tom Leonard Shelter, Mass AT

Enjoying the Sun

Mass. AT

Spring

Spring brought more hikes along the Appalachian Trail in both CT and MA.  I hiked both solo and with the Boy Scouts.  It was always fun and mother nature never disappoints with the beauty along the trail.
Coming down St. Johns Ledges

Cliff face St. Johns Ledges

Pine Swamp Shelter, CT AT

CT AT

Climbing Warner Hill, Mass. AT

Summer

Rose on Quinnipiac Trail


At the end of June I was lucky enough to take a trip with a great group of hikers to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  This was my first time hiking in New Hampshire and while the elevations kicked my butt, I fell in love with the views and the smell of the boreal forest.  I bagged my first and second 4K peaks, Mt Tom and Mt Jackson.  
View heading up Mt. Willey, NH

Ethan Pond Trail, NH

Macedonia Brook State Park
 In August, my wife and hiking partner, took a trip to New Hampshire and hiked along Franconia Ridge.  I was able to summit two more 4K footers, Lincoln and Lafayette, and she climbed her first and second.  It was a great trip and I can't wait to get back.  
Franconia Ridge Trail

Cairn on Franconia Ridge

Heading down to Greenleaf Hut

Autumn


Day hike in Sleeping Giant State Park
 One of my favorite hikes of the year was the section of AT that I took with the Boy Scouts from Jug End to Salisbury, CT.  It was so enjoyable, with all the views, that even the crazy weather we had didn't dampen our spirits.  This is a section that I would love to do again.
Mass. AT

View along Mass. AT


Snow on CT AT

Rand's View, CT AT

Billy's View, CT AT


Late November, Mass. AT
My last hike of the year I completed the CT section of the AT.  It was a beautiful day and I was able to spend it with family, which made the hike all that much better. 
Housatonic River, CT AT

Southern View, CT AT


On to more miles and smiles in 2015!!