Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Kelty Redwing 32 daypack

I have been thinking that it was time to upgrade my daypack for awhile and with a trip planned to New Hampshire I decided that now was the time.  I had looked around and settled on the Kelty Redwing 32.  It is a little bigger than the Outdoor Products 26L pack I have been using and offers some other features found on bigger packs that I liked.

From the Kelty website, the description for the Redwing 32 states;
Seize the day with ease! Our iconic Kelty Built Redwing houses plenty of storage to hold your gear for a day in the woods or commute around town. With a U-zipper for convenient access to everything in the main compartment, durable lightweight aluminum suspension to balance loads, and an airflow vent for added comfort, you can carry a lot with little effort. Make life simpler by making this pack a part of your everyday routine.
This pack features a HDPE framesheet that provides load transfer and support.  The larger Redwings also have an aluminum stay for support.  The suspension has a hip belt, a sternum strap and load stabilizer/compression straps.  For the pack, it has panel loading which allows for both top loading or front loading.  There are a number of pockets, 2 side pockets, a front pocket, top pocket, and the large main pocket and water bottle pockets on both sides.  Daisy chain, ax loop, and a carry handle. 


Features I liked about the pack.  The hip belt and frame sheet did provide support for those times I carried a little extra.  There was plenty of room for all of my gear and food without stuffing it overfull.  I liked the top/front panel loading, it made it easier to find things in the pack when I was on the trail, as well as easier to pack at home.  The compressions straps held everything in place.  I really like the fact I can reach my water bottles on both sides and put them back without stopping and taking the pack off.  It rode well and fit my body well.  I think my torso length may be just outside the recommended range, but it still felt fine on the trail.

Things that could be better.  The frame sheet makes it a little hot, even with the airflow panel.  Better airflow would help.  It says it is water bladder compatible, which I did not use.  But I saw no hole for the hose to go through which would mean sticking it out the zipper.  

All in all I think this is a good pack for longer day hikes where you need to carry just a little more.  It rode well and handled the weight and gear I put in it.  I will be putting this pack to the test more and expect it will continue to perform well where ever I go with it.

Here is the link.

Disclaimer:  Andy Fenn purchased the Kelty Redwing 32 with his own money.

No comments: