Thursday, July 13, 2017

Hunter Mountain

I got up early and drove to the Catskills.  My plan was to hike Hunter Mountain up the Becker Hollow trail, see some views from the fire tower and then head back the same way.  The trailhead parking was easy to find and I arrived at about 8:30am.

 The trail climbs about 2200ft in about 2 miles.  It is pretty strenuous.  I had the trail to myself and took my time on the way stopping here and there to catch my breath.  The closer you get to the 3500ft line the better the view through the trees.  I think when the leaves are down you would be able to see some nice views.
I made it to the fire tower and had a snack.  I was disappointed to find that the tower was closed for renovations and I couldn't climb it.  Maybe next time I'll be able to.  Since there would be no views I continued on and headed back down.


I reached the car about 12:30pm tired and sweaty.  I hiked about 5+ miles and beat the rain that came through.  I got my 5th 3500 footer as well.  I like the Catskills and will be back to hike again soon.

No comments: