Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Foggy day over Hogsback

Today was my first day of vacation for the Christmas holiday and what better way to start then to go hike in the woods.  It was also a perfect opportunity to try out the GoPro camera that just arrived in the mail.  I decided to hike a trail with no name that ends at a nice lookout overlooking Hogsback Reservoir.  The hike is nice and level, with only a few small ups and downs.  I passed many stone walls and old home sites on the way to the look out.


As I approached the end I could see that there was a good amount of fog in the valley and a low cloud cover but I hoped I would still get some views.  The view was mostly of clouds and fog today, but the tops of the hills all around me poked through.  The fog in the valley sat over the water without moving much but it did open up for a few glimpses.  I played around with different settings on the camera for awhile and then started back.


I decided to do a little bushwhacking on the way back and climbed up and over the hill the trail goes around on the way in.  This way was interesting with rock outcroppings and some views out through the trees.  I made a short loop then hooked back up with the trail and made my way out.  





I didn't see any wildlife other then a few squirrels and chipmunks today, but I know this area is home to moose and had hoped to see one. I hiked about 3.25 miles on this out and back trail.  

No comments: