Sunday, January 10, 2021

Tunxis Trail section hike

 

I decided to try a new section of the Tunxis Trail, one of the Blue-blazed hiking trails in CT. 


I have hiked the upper section many times in the past and thought I would try some new areas.  I parked at the Nepaug State Forest parking area on Rt. 202 in New Hartford and hiked South.  After a short road walk, the trail turns into the woods and follows along the edge of a farm field before meeting up with an MDC woods road.  From here the trail stays on the road, a dirt road that is maintained by the water company.  The road winds its way up hill to the top of Garrett Mountain,  where logging activity has opened up the forest.  There are no views from here, but it is still a nice area.



  I hiked about 2.5 miles to an intersection with another water company road and where the trail continues into the woods.  Knowing that I needed to hike back the way I came, I decided to turn around here and make my way back.  It was a nice sunny day, with temps in the 30’s and a breeze.  It was good to start a new section and I look forward to continuing along the Tunxis Trail.   On the way back to the truck I came across some bear tracks.  I was surprised to find them out and about in the middle of winter.

 


No comments: