Wednesday, April 14, 2021

South Taconic section hike

Mac and I went for a nice section hike on the South Taconic Trail yesterday, from Bash Bish to the Mt. Washington SP headquarters.  It was a little over 6 miles on a nice mostly sunny day with temps in the 60's.  I have hiked this section as an out and back a few times so I had warned her that there was a good climb to start off then it would be a nice ridge walk.  I had forgotten how hard of a climb it was.  We climbed roughly 1000' elevation in about 1.3 miles.  We were both whipped when we got to the top.  We stopped and had a snack and some water, taking a much needed break.  Once back on the trail it was much as I remembered it, a rolling ridge walk with scattered views both to the East and West.


  We could clearly see the Catskills in the distance.  Now that we were on the ridge we made good time and were soon at the summit of Alander Mt.  We took another break and enjoyed the view before making our way back and taking the Alander Mt. trail back to the State park headquaters and the car.  The Alander Mt. cabin is still standing, although it is a little rougher than the last time I was there.  The floor is getting pretty spongy.  Mac enjoyed checking out all the notes and trinkets left by other hikers.  The trail back hasn't changed much from my last trip.  We passed the primitive camping areas and were soon back at the car.  We were both tired, the initial climb having taken a lot out of us, but I enjoyed the hike and love that area.  We will be back.

No comments: