Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Three State Forests - One Hike

I spent some time hiking in some of the Connecticut State Forests this past weekend.  Northwest Connecticut had just gotten a few inches of snow in a spring snowstorm, but the day I hiked was sunny and fairly warm.  I parked at the Burr Pond State Park boat launch and began my hike around the pond.  The trail follows the edge of the pond closely and I had some nice views of the water and shoreline.


It is a little under a mile to reach the far side of the pond, where I turned off the pond trail and made my way to the John Muir Trail which led me through the Paugnut State Forest.  The trail works it's way around some beaver ponds and through hardwood forest before climbing up Walnut Mountain. Walnut Mountain is the highest point in the town of Torrington, with an elevation of 1325ft.  To reach the true summit, there is a spur trail, which I decided not to take this day.  Instead, I stayed on the blue-blazed John Muir trail and walked around the summit.  




There had been a brush fire recently on the side of Walnut Mountain and the charred ground stood out clearly as I followed along the trail. The trail begins to descend steadily and I began to see more foot prints in the snow.  In no time I was at the end, reaching the Newfield Rd. and Sunny Brook State Park.  I enjoyed a snack and some water before beginning the return trip to the car.  I hiked a nice 6 miles out and back, made it through three State Forests/Parks and enjoyed some quiet time in the woods. 

No comments: