Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tunxis Trail Section Hike

I hiked a nice seven mile section of the Tunxis Trail through Barkhamsted and New Hartford the other day, starting at the Indian Council Caves and making my way South.  While this is not the first time hiking this trail or section, I enjoyed the different season and the views of the reservoir below. The weather was cool, cloudy and breezy when I started out on this Connecticut Blue Blazed trail. The Indian Council Caves, a jumble of large boulders and ledge with tales of Native Americans using them in the past, is a steep climb with forest views once at the top.



Once past this it is a nice trail through hardwood forest, passing old stonewalls, cellar holes and small streams. There are a few road crossings before reaching the ridge above the reservoir.

I made good time and had fun.  It was a short trip on an afternoon off.  I spotted and spooked some deer that ran away as I approached and I also spotted this little guy on the trail.  
Garter Snake
After snapping a picture of this little Garter Snake we both kept going on our way.  This is a popular trail that is fairly easy hiking.  It is well worth checking out.

No comments: